Senior Windows Engineer
Do you love cutting edge technology, solving problems and maintaining complex hosting environments? If you’re passionate about servers, cloud and helping customers in the fast moving industry that we call hosting, then we may have the perfect role for you at UKFast!
Know someone right for the job? Share the role on social media!
What’s the role all about?
Working at UKFast you’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the internet’s most exciting businesses on a day to day basis. We work with Windows server 2008 through to 2016 including the various role and feature offerings from Microsoft such as clustering, storage spaces, Hyper-V, RDS and containers. We work with a mixture of bare metal and both Hyper-V and VMWare virtual machines. The Windows Team is a friendly bunch and you’re guaranteed to make some great friends in the role. We work closely with our Linux counterparts as well so there is opportunity to understand WAF’s, Load balancers, Webcels and Anti-DDOS in more detail.
What will my responsibilities be?
- To provide technical support, expertise and consultation to clients
- Assist with maintenance and operational status of client solutions
- Assist in design and implementation of bespoke client requirements
- To be responsible for server setup, configuration and support
- Aiding research and development with new and existing products
- To continually develop your technical skills through extensive training both internally and via third parties. You will be working alongside some of the best engineers in the industry
What skills do I need to have?
- Experience installing, maintaining and supporting Windows 2008/2012/2016 servers
- Qualification to MCSA/MCSE level
- Excellent customer service skills with working experience
- A keen interest in new and emerging technologies
Experience in the following areas would be essential for this role:
- Active Directory Services; Domain/Policy/User/Machine Management Distributed File System Replication
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Domain Name Service (DNS)
- Mail Services (SMTP/POP3/IMAP)
- Microsoft Exchange Services
- MSSQL database service functionality; Mirroring/Clustering/Log Shipping Microsoft Clustering/High Availability
- Experience with load balancing technologies; Layer 4 & 7
- Exposure to virtualisation technologies; VMWare/HyperV/Zen Server/KVM
- Understanding of RAID configuration and implementation
- Exposure to Cisco networking; Firewalls/Switches/Routers
- Experience with server backup technologies
- Storage Area Network (SAN) exposure; Dell/HP 3PAR/NetApp/iSCSI/Fiber Channel Exposure
Experience in the following areas would be beneficial for this role:
- Hardware diagnostics and debugging experience
- Web application debugging experience (.NET/PHP/JAVA/ASP Classic)
- Data Security/Encryption
- Citrix products and service experience
- Exposure to Linux based operating systems
What’s the earning potential?
- We offer a salary of up to £50k depending on experience
What are my working hours?
Core working hours are Monday - Friday 9am - 5.30pm
The role comes with the following benefits:
- Pension Scheme with significantly higher matched contributions
- Birthdays off as an extra paid holiday
- A Tax paid bonuses of £1000 after 5 years, and an amazing £10,000 after 10 years with the team
- Private BUPA healthcare cover after a years’ service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service
- Award-winning training and education centre with three full-time teachers who help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn
- An extra weeks holiday the year you get married
- Coming soon : Share Scheme - own a piece of the business you help build
We have some amazing facilities at our expanding UKFast campus including:
- On-site gym with steam room – we also have weekly classes such as Boot Camp and Yoga
- Sports clubs such as running, football and netball
- Free kettle bells, pyramid, spinning classes and circuit training
- Games zone with arcade games and retro consoles to play
- Free fresh fruit delivered to the office
- A bar - free drinks on a Friday to end the week
- Crèche on site – somewhere to play when your kids come to visit
- A giant slide
- Table tennis and pool tables
- Onsite parking
- Quiet zones and sleeping pods
- Future plans to have a dog kennels for dog lovers to bring their dog to work
We also have fantastic opportunities and run special events such as:
- Cinema nights to movie premieres
- UKFest – our incredible festival with live bands, free food and drink for the entire company, friends and family
- Team building experiences at our Wales training centre – including climbing Snowdon
- Regular pub quizzes with our very own quiz master - friends and family are also welcome
- Friends and family events at Christmas
- Family days out to Chester Zoo
- LAN parties
- The opportunity to go skiing in Switzerland
If this sounds like the place for you - Apply Now! Fill in the form below, we look forward to hearing from you!