Over the past two decades, UKFast has grown from a start up to a multi-million pound business. We are one of the UK’s leading cloud and secure managed hosting providers - supplying dedicated servers, private and public cloud hosting solutions, and a full range of technical, cybersecurity, and DevOps consulting services.
Dedicated to innovation and providing world-class solutions, we help transform our customers’ businesses. We bring together cutting-edge technology with multi-award-winning customer service and support. We have the highest NPS in our industry and we work hard every day to re-earn our customers’ loyalty. We support a full cross section of UK enterprise, from local businesses and charities, to global manufacturers and retailers, local and central Government, the NHS and the Ministry of Defence.
What makes the UKFast difference is simple. It’s all about our people and our culture. We are dedicated to our customers, to the ongoing training, development, and support of our team, and to making it fun every day. Our in-house training facility is widely accredited – e.g. we are the only managed service provider in the UK to also be an accredited AWS training centre.
2020 was a hugely transformational year for our business with a large investment from the leading mid-market private equity firm Inflexion. Our hard work, dedication, and team spirit during such a turbulent year have propelled us into 2021 with a highly confident outlook for a successful year ahead.
Integral to our plans is becoming the best market provider in truly Hybrid Cloud solutions and the fundamental redesign of both our core network infrastructure and eCloud, UKFast’s own private cloud product. These large-scale projects have led us to the search for a Senior Network Engineer to join us on our unique business transformation.
Working closely with UKFast’s infrastructure teams and reporting into the Network Team Leader, you will have ownership of network project conception and implementation. You will work as a senior technical figure on a wide range of critical network infrastructure projects, working alongside network architects to deliver projects on time and to the project brief. In addition to this you will act as a Senior member of the wider networks team, providing the team with a technical escalation point and acting as a mentor to other network engineers in the team.
The opportunity to improve the way both you and we do things is plentiful in this role as both continuous innovation and technical optimisation of network infrastructure is top priority. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual who thrives in a lean, collaborative, and fast-paced environment. A network evangelist who is driven to deliver high quality network infrastructure to contribute to both improved platform stability and business growth.
What you will do naturally
- Act as a lead technical engineer on a wide range of critical network infrastructure projects, meeting project briefs and deadlines
- Work closely with other infrastructure teams and network architects to deliver industry leading cloud based products
- Plan, prepare and deliver on a network wide core network replacement program, working within UKFast change control, CAB and incident management processes to deliver a seamless roll out
- Work around business needs, delivering on scheduled core network maintenance both in and out of standard business hours
- Identify and implement areas of improvement within the existing network infrastructure which can contribute to both improved platform stability or performance
- Create and maintain core network infrastructure documentation in line with documentation standards
- Work with UKFast vendors and suppliers to ensure UKFast continually offer the best network products and services to its customers
- Identify areas which would benefit from automated processes, working with R&D and DevOps teams to deliver on network automation roll out plans which can contribute engineer time saving to improve engineer time focus
- Act as a technical escalation point for other engineers within the network team for level 3 and 4 customer support
What skills will you bring
- A proven record in OAM in large scale provider and data centre networks and their technologies including, but not limited to BGP, ISIS, MPLS, EVPN, VXLAN
- Significant experience with layer 2 fundamentals, such as HSRP, VRRP and STP
- Significant experience in implementing and maintaining Cisco or Arista based switches and routers
- Experience in configuring and maintaining internet transit and peering with a great understanding of the wider internet
- Exposure and experience with VMware and NSX (NSX-T)
- Exposure and experience with BGP FlowSpec
- Experience with network troubleshooting on both an internet edge and core network level
- Exposure to LIRs such as RIPE and their purpose on the wider internet
- Experience configuring and managing Cisco ASA, Cisco FirePower Appliance or Fortigate firewalls including but not limited to the following technologies, IPsec VPN, SSL VPN and IPS/IDSExposure and experience with technologies to contribute to network automation, including but not limited to, Python, Ansible, Salt, Chef, Puppet
- A continued willingness to engage an interact with all areas of the business, from 1st line support to CTO as per business needs.
- An interest in contributing to the wider network community via events, mailing lists, or other channels
- Birthdays off as an extra paid holiday
- Private health insurance after one years’ service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service.
- Flexible working and work from home
- Award-winning training and education centre with four full-time teachers to help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn.
- Pearson Vue test centre on-site
- On-site gym
- Games zone with arcade games and retro consoles.
- Free onsite parking
- Table tennis and pool tables
- Team building experiences
- Weekly virtual quiz nights and team parties
- Volunteer days to help support our community and charity partners
- Active and engaged diversity groups with events and educational sessions arranged regularly
Know someone right for the job? Share the role on social media!