Open Source Cloud Engineer
We are looking for experienced open source cloud engineers who are ready to take on the challenge and responsibility of operating an internet facing public OpenStack cloud service for internal and external customers.
Cloud Engineers are the point of escalation for the customer facing support teams to provide assistance and knowledge for incident resolution, pre sales, coaching and training.
Know someone right for the job? Share the role on social media!
What will my responsibilities be?
- Ensure the stability of public facing OpenStack cloud platform by maintaining internal ansible playbooks to manage upgrades and daily ops.
- Constantly expand your knowledge on this emerging technology in an effort to assess the viability of new features for production.
- Champion internal documentation to assist in sharing responsibilities and avoid information silos within the team.
- Plan and manage the BAU tasks of operating a public facing OpenStack cloud, including troubleshooting, upgrades, performance analysis and capacity planning.
- Ensure SLA are met by responding to incidents in a timely fashion and carefully evaluating changes before they are applied to production. This may include scheduling maintenance windows with key stakeholders and conducting changes during such change windows.
- Be supportive to internal support teams by taking case ownership of incidents and seeing them through to resolution.
- Act as an on-call escalation point for our in house 24/7 support and monitoring teams.
What skills do I need to have?
- At Least BSC (hons) in computer science related subject, or significant experience / certifications at a similar level (RHCE, LPIC3 CCNA).
- Extensive experience of Linux system administration using Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu and Debian.
- Experience deploying and managing large scale environments using ansible, including writing custom roles and troubleshooting.
- Prior role running OpenStack ideally in a production grade environment with external customers.
- Experience of running a large scale (PB) ceph storage cluster, including troubleshooting, upgrading and capacity planning/upgrades.
- A solid understanding of key networking concepts such as DNS,SNAT,NAT,BGP,OSPF,ipv6, linux net name spaces.
- Demonstrable scripting skills in python and bash.
- Extensive knowledge of key cloud networking services such as HTTP,DHCP,Cloud-init
- Happy to communicate using IRC and internal phone systems with team members when working on issues and projects.
We’re more than happy to train an enthusiastic individual, but it would be desirable if you had the following:
- Knowledge of proxmox.
- RHCE certified
- Familiar with gitlab using CI/CD
- Previous role in a ISP environment.
- Experience participating in on-call rotation and remote working.
- Experience working with containers such as docker, OpenStack, AUC or TUC status.
What’s the earning potential?
A salary of £40-80k depending on experience
The role comes with the following benefits:
- Pension Scheme with significantly higher matched contributions
- Birthdays off as an extra paid holiday
- A Tax paid bonuses of £1000 after 5 years, and an amazing £10,000 after 10 years with the team
- Private BUPA healthcare cover after a years’ service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service
- Award-winning training and education centre with three full-time teachers who help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn
- An extra weeks holiday the year you get married
- Coming soon : Share Scheme - own a piece of the business you help build
We have some amazing facilities at our expanding UKFast campus including:
- On-site gym with steam room – we also have weekly classes such as Boot Camp and Yoga
- Sports clubs such as running, football and netball
- Free kettle bells, pyramid, spinning classes and circuit training
- Games zone with arcade games and retro consoles to play
- Free fresh fruit delivered to the office
- A bar - free drinks on a Friday to end the week
- Crèche on site – somewhere to play when your kids come to visit
- A giant slide
- Table tennis and pool tables
- Onsite parking
- Quiet zones and sleeping pods
- Future plans to have a dog kennels for dog lovers to bring their dog to work
We also have fantastic opportunities and run special events such as:
- Cinema nights to movie premieres
- UKFest – our incredible festival with live bands, free food and drink for the entire company, friends and family
- Team building experiences at our Wales training centre – including climbing Snowdon
- Regular pub quizzes with our very own quiz master - friends and family are also welcome
- Friends and family events at Christmas
- Family days out to Chester Zoo
- LAN parties
- The opportunity to go skiing in Switzerland
If this sounds like the place for you - Apply Now! Fill in the form below, we look forward to hearing from you!