Senior Linux Engineer
Do you enjoy working with cutting edge open source technology? Would you like access to an amazing range of technologies and various hardware (Dell, HP and Cisco)? Are you passionate about Linux software and looking to develop your skills further? Would you like the opportunity to work for the most successful cloud and hosting provider in the UK? If so, we may have a place for you at UKFast!
Know someone right for the job? Share the role on social media!
What’s the role all about?
Working at UKFast you’ll have the opportunity to work with some of the internet’s most exciting businesses on a day to day basis. We're primarily a RHEL/CentOS shop, but we also mix it up a bit with some Debian, both bare metal and VMware. Outside of the office we're known to be arch, Gentoo and RasPi fans, and we provide resources for a couple of very popular open source projects.
What will my responsibilities be?
- We are primarily about ensuring clients get a good service
- Helping to engineer high availability in solutions, through applying specific tuning, load testing and even full DR platforms – whether it is for a simple web cluster or complex multi-datacentre solutions
- Responsible for maintaining and progressing our own infrastructure. We use Python, Perl and even some Go for good measure.
What skills do I need to have?
- Core web technologies (apache, nginx, haproxy, varnish)
- Database servers (MySQL and its forks including Galera)
- High availability (Heartbeat, Pacemaker, Red Hat Cluster Suite)
- VMWare or Hyper-V
- Red Hat certification is desirable
What’s the earning potential?
- We offer a salary of up to 50k depending on experience
What are my working hours?
Core working hours are Monday - Friday 9am - 5.30pm
What benefits are on offer?
- Award-winning training and education centre with three full-time teachers who help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn
- On-site gym with steam room – we also have weekly classes such as Boot Camp and Yoga – there is something for everyone
- Birthdays off as a paid holiday
- UKFest – our incredible festival with live bands, free food and drink for the entire company, friends and family. The event is described as a mini-Glastonbury with over 1000 attending in 2016
- Private BUPA healthcare cover after a years’ service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks after two years' service
- Pension Scheme with significantly higher matched contributions
We also offer these if you’re interested:
- Regular cinema nights and LAN parties
- Friends and family open days where people related to the company come over to eat and drink with us at Christmas
- Referral scheme in which you can earn up to £500 for referring superstars to join the business
- Family days out to Chester Zoo
- An extra weeks holiday the year you get married
- Crèche on site – somewhere to play when your kids come to visit
We’ve got loads more too:
- Bar! Free drinks on a Friday to end the week
- Onsite parking
- Sports clubs such as running, football & netball
- Table tennis and pool tables – things can get competitive
- Console gaming area and arcade machines
- Regular pub quizzes with our very own quiz master - friends and family are also welcome
- Fresh fruit delivered to the office
- Team building experiences climbing Snowdon
- We’re big believers in rewarding commitment, so you get £1000 after 5 years with us and an amazing £10,000 bonus after 10 years in the family
- We offer reward trips to amazing places such as Vegas or skiing in Switzerland!
- Top performers achieve VIP parking
- Future plans to have a dog kennels for all you dog lovers
- Share Scheme for the entire business to make people feel rewarded and connected