Advice for online campaign optimisationAmidst the fears of the credit crunch and economic downturn, any marketing activity needs careful planning and monitored outcomes. One of the most popular tactics, online advertising, is viewed as low cost and effective. Jenny Ogden, campaign manager at Sift Media, outlines some key tips on how businesses can use this tool to support strategic marketing and business plans, and how to make it work on a tactical level. 1. The best laid plans… Give online advertising as much thought and preparation as any other type of advertising activity. The most effective campaigns are those that are given serious consideration and where recommendations of the media provider have been taken into account. There are techniques that can be learnt to help online advertising deliver real results; much the same as techniques marketers learn for direct email, television and print advertising. 2. Playing to the right audience If a business wants its online campaign to succeed, it must know the target audience. Deciding where, when and how to advertise online are the most critical decisions to make when planning a campaign. Get this wrong and company messages will become diluted and be delivered to an inappropriate audience. Try as they might, a sales team will be unlikely to convert any responses or leads. However, get it right and it could end with a highly successful and profitable campaign: Research to find out what business websites the target audience regularly uses.
- Which sites do they trust and look to for the latest industry updates and opinion?
- Where is the competition advertising and why?
- Speak to media providers to find out about different audiences to find the best match.
- Register with the sites that are most appropriate and try them. If they are useful and helpful, the chances are that the target audience will feel the same way too.
- A white paper or article
- A free 'how to' guide
- A free trial
- A discount voucher
- Free entry to an event
- If the campaign concentrates on brand awareness, focus on the brand and the main selling points of the product, service or solution.
- If the campaign is designed to generate leads, focus on what is being offered and use it as a hook.
- If copywriting needs improving, most media providers will be able to offer insight into what works best. Some may offer complimentary copywriting services for advertisers.
View Marketing News Archive