Facebook the fastest growing site in UK
Google was the most visited property in August in the UK, with 28.3 million unique visitors age 15 or older, reaching 89 percent of the total UK Internet audience, according to comScore's World Metrix service, which also found that Facebook.com was the fastest-growing online property in the UK, reports MarketingCharts.
Among comScore's other findings:
* Microsoft Sites, which attracted 26.8 million unique visitors, reached 83 percent of the total UK internet audience in August.
* Yahoo grew 1.3 percent in August to challenge eBay for its position as the third most-visited property from within the UK. eBay attracted an audience of 21.6 million unique visitors, compared with Yahoo'd 21.0 million.
* Meanwhile, online-shopping site Amazon proved to be the fastest growing of the Top 10 UK properties, increasing total traffic 6.3 percent to attract 13.3 million unique visitors - a reach of 42 percent.
The top-gaining sites in August:
* Facebook.com was the fastest-growing property in the UK, increasing the number of its unique visitors 18.3 percent in August and reaching a total of just under 9 million.
* Facebook has experienced a dramatic 2,167 percent growth within the UK since September 2006, when it opened up registration to the general public.
* During the same period, traffic to the site has increased strongly across Europe, where it has grown by 2,446 percent to reach 13.2 million unique visitors.
* British Sky Broadcasting experienced a 10 percent growth in traffic, reaching 7.4 million unique visitors. This increase was sparked by interest in skysports.com, thanks to the onset of the new football/soccer season.
* Premiumtv.co.uk also benefited from the start of the season. The company, which manages the digital rights of football in the UK and produces multi-platform club specific content, enjoyed a 17.1 percent growth to reach 3.1 million unique visitors.
* Shopping-comparison site Shopzilla.com grew 10.2 percent, to 3.4 million unique visitors; travel price-comparison specialist Priceline.com increased 8.6 percent, to 3.1 million.
Return to marketing news headlines
View Marketing News Archive