Facebook’s rapid rise in popularity among UK web users continued in May, according to measurement group comScore.
The figures show the social network had 4.8m visitors, 30% up from April and 2123% from May last year. It was the site's third consecutive month of 30%+ gains, comScore said.
Google maintained its position as the UK’s most-visited web property, attracting almost 28m visitors – 89% of UK web users of 15 or older. Second-placed Microsoft had 27.4m visitors, a reach of 87%.
comScore also said sites’ rankings had been affected by various seasonal factors:
* Travel planning for May’s bank holidays saw holiday sites making strong gains, including Priceline.com (up 17% from April to 3m visitors); First Choice Holidays (16% to 2.8m); EasyGroup (15% to 3.6m) and TUI Group (13% to 4.3m).
* The Weather Channel was the UK’s fastest growing property, up 36% to 2.4m UK visitors.
* The new series of Big Brother saw Channel 4’s visitors increase by 31% to 4.4m.
* The launch of Kate Moss’ fashion line helped Arcadia Group increase its visitors by 17% to 2.7m.
* Seasonal shopping drove traffic to shopping comparison group Ciao Sites, Karstadt-Quelle, Marks & Spencer and Play.com.
comScore added that the Guardian’s redesign helped it record a 14% visitor rise in May, while BSkyB and Bebo also experienced the strongest growth.