Website monitoring service Pingdom has updated its blog to include a broad summary of global 2008 Internet statistics. The results make for an interesting read and highlight details such as how 53.8 trillion junk email (SPAM) messages were sent last year accounting for 70% of all mail!
* 1.3 billion - The number of email users worldwide.
* 210 billion - The number of emails sent per day in 2008.
* 70% - The percentage of emails that are spam.
* 53.8 trillion - The number of spam emails sent in 2008 (assuming 70% are spam).
* 186,727,854 - The number of websites on the Internet in December 2008.
* 31.5 million - The number of websites added during 2008.
* 77.5 million - .COM domain names at the end of 2008.
* 11.8 million - .NET domain names at the end of 2008.
* 7.2 million - .ORG domain names at the end of 2008.
* 174 million - The number of domain names across all top-level domains.
* 19% - The increase in the number of domain names in 2008.
* 1,463,632,361 - The number of Internet users worldwide (June 2008).
* 578,538,257 - Internet users in Asia.
* 384,633,765 - Internet users in Europe.
* 248,241,969 - Internet users in North America.
* 139,009,209 - Internet users in Latin America/Caribbean.
* 51,065,630 - Internet users in Africa.
* 41,939,200 - Internet users in the Middle East.
* 20,204,331 - Internet users in Oceania/Australia.
* 12.7 billion - The number of online videos watched by American Internet users in a month (November 2008).
* 87 - The number of online videos viewed per month per Internet user in USA.
* 34% - The increase in viewing of online video in USA compared to 2007.
* 3.1 - The number of minutes of an average online video.
* Internet Explorer - 69.8%
* Firefox - 20.7%
* Safari - 7.2%
* Chrome - 0.9%
* Opera - 0.7%
* Netscape - 0.5%
* Other - 0.2%
* 1 million - The number of computer viruses in April 2008.
* 468% - The increase in malicious code compared to 2007.
The data was collected from various sources including Netcraft, Verisign, Webhosting.info, Internet World Stats, Net Applications, Technorati, About.com, DCC, Symantec, Comscore, CNET and Flickr.
No responsibility can be taken for the content of external Internet sites.
Return to hosting news headlines
View Hosting News Archive