Public Sector Technical Support Engineer
What’s the role all about?
This is a wide-ranging role within the growing Public-Sector hosting business within UKFast, where the core responsibility is to provide technical support within our Service Delivery team and to ensure our NOC is configured and developed to meet our service obligations. The role will report to the Public-Sector Account Manager.
An example of the type of work that this role will entail, dealing with 2nd and 3rd line support issues to rectification, interacting with vendors and other internal teams. Technologies that will be worked with include Windows, Linux, VMware, Zabbix etc.
Know someone right for the job? Share the role on social media!
What will my responsibilities be?
- Working as an IT technical engineer within the Service Support team.
- Investigate and remedy 2nd and 3rd line technical support issues.
- Perform root cause analysis of issues and outages, recommend mitigations and implement them.
- Ensure our NOC which monitors service and system health is fully configured, reporting correctly and alerting.
- Ensure backup facilities are correctly configured and operational.
- Provide backup to the service desk operation as and when required.
What skills do I need to have?
- Linux Administration and Configuration (Red Hat, CentOS, Ubuntu) (1 Year).
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 Administration and Configuration (1 Year).
- Good understanding of networking principles (IP, Routing, VLAN, Switches) (1 Year).
- Good understanding of VMware environments including vCenter (1 Year).
- Web Servers (e.g. Apache, nginx).
- Experience of system health monitoring and it functions.
- Experience of Backup Systems.
- Able to fault find issues, independently if required.
- Must be eligible for SC Clearance (resident in the UK for 5 years).
What is desirable?
- Experience of Solaris.
- Experience of firewall concepts and configuration.
- Web server experience utilising IIS and/or Apache.
- Database experience using Microsoft SQL Server and or MySQL
- some experience of Information Security
- HMG SC Cleared
What’s the earning potential?
£25,000 to £40,000
What benefits are on offer?
- Award-winning training and education centre with three full-time teachers who help you obtain accreditations, develop and learn
- On-site gym with steam room – we also have weekly classes such as Boot Camp and Yoga – there is something for everyone
- Birthdays off as a paid holiday
- UKFest – our incredible festival with live bands, free food and drink for the entire company, friends and family. The event is described as a mini-Glastonbury with over 1000 attending in 2016
- Private BUPA healthcare cover after a years’ service
- Full paid maternity leave for first 16 weeks and full paid paternity leave for 2 weeks
We also offer these if you’re interested:
- Regular cinema nights and LAN parties
- Friends and family open days where people related to the company come over to eat and drink with us at Christmas
- Referral scheme in which you can earn up to £500 for referring superstars to join the business
- Family days out to Chester Zoo
- An extra weeks holiday the year you get married
- Crèche on site – somewhere to play when your kids come to visit
- Pension Scheme with significantly higher matched contributions
- Bupa private healthcare after 1 years’ service.
We’ve got loads more too:
- Bar! Free drinks on a Friday to end the week
- Onsite parking
- Sports clubs such as running, football & netball
- Table tennis and pool tables – things can get competitive
- Console gaming area and arcade machines
- Regular pub quizzes with our very own quiz master - friends and family are also
- Fresh fruit delivered to the office
- Team building experiences climbing Snowdon
- We’re big believers in rewarding commitment, so you get £1000 after 5 years with us and an amazing £10,000 bonus after 10 years in the family
- We offer reward trips to amazing places such as Vegas or skiing in Switzerland!
- Top performers achieve VIP parking
- Future plans to have a dog kennels for all you dog lovers
- Share Scheme for the entire business to make people feel rewarded and connected